Lubbock CODE OF ORDINANCES - Chapter 4 - Animals
IV. OTHER ANIMALS
DIVISION 2. WILD ANIMALS
Section 4-24. Keeping of wild animals.
(a) It shall be unlawful for any person to keep or maintain any
wild animal unless a special permit therefor is first obtained
from the animal control supervisor, who shall issue such permit if
he finds that:
- The animal is at all times kept or maintained insa safe
manner and that it is at all times confined securely so that
the keeping of such animal will not constitute a danger to
human life or property.
- Adequate safeguards are made to prevent unauthorized
access to such animal by members of the public.
- The health or well-being of the animal is not in any way
being endangered by the manner of keeping or confinement.
- The keeping of the animal does not constitute a nuisance
and will not harm the surrounding neighborhood or disturb
the peace and quiet of the surrounding neighborhood.
- The keeping of such animal will not create or cause
offensive odors or constitute a danger to public health.
- The quarters in which such animal is kept or confined are
so constructed that they may be kept in a clean and sanitary
- The applicant has paid the applicable permit fee.
(b) Said permit shall be renewable annually upon a finding by
the animal control supervisor that the above conditions have been
met. The above provisions shall not apply to the keeping of
wild animals if the owner or possessor:
- Is a governmental agency or entity;
- Holds a circus, carnival or zoo license from the State of
- Is an individual or a member of a nonprofit animal
rehabilitation organization holding a permit from the Texas
Parks and Wildlife Department; or
- Is a research institution or an accredited educational
- Is an individual holding a state or federal permit to
(c) Wild animals in private possession upon the enactment of
this chapter may be retained by the owner provided that the owner
registers such animal with the public health administrator within
thirty (30) days of the final passage of this chapter.
(d) Decisions of the animal control supervisor or the public
health administrator pertaining to wild animals may be appealed to
the City of Lubbock Permit and License Appeal Board by filing a
written notice of appeal within five (5) days with the city
manager's office. During the pendency of such appeal, the
decision of the animal control supervisor or the Public Health
Administrator shall be suspended, provided that the owner shall
surrender the animal to the animal facility or to a veterinarian
for observation. Decisions of the permit and license appeal
board shall be final.
(Ord. No. 9485, 1, 11-14-91)